Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thing 15: Online Gaming in Libraries

Thing 15 has established one thing beyond any reasonable doubt--I am terrible at gaming! In second life, all of a sudden I was flying, and I can't believe how long it took me to get back on "land!" Puzzle pirates wasn't much better, but that looks like a lot more fun. I just have trouble keeping things straight--and I thought I was pretty good at multi-tasking! Although it was interesting to see these environments, I'm really not interested in pursuing this Thing on my own.

Research tells us that gaming is where our Gen Next people are, though, and libraries need to be in this venue, just like we need to be in MySpace and Facebook if we want to take libraries to our users. Librarians at our institution who are involved with the first year program have explored this environment, although I'm not sure if they have firm plans to create something or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish so intensely that I could have been looking over your shoulder when you went flying!! I didn't move at all in second life, so, good for you! In fact, I know this will cement me in my generation, but I thought second life was just plain weird.