Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 21: Beyond MySpace

This Thing has been interesting. I've looked at Gather and Web Junction, and I've created a Ning account. These networks are much less frenetic than are Facebook or MySpace. I joined the 23 Thing on a Stick Group on Ning, added a comment to a couple of people's pages, and uploaded a picture of me and Bill Durbin taken when he spoke on campus this spring.

I'm not sure if I read the right article Publisher's Weekly or not, since the link didn't work. (Suggestion: It would be helpful to include the citation as well as the link, so we could be sure we get to the recommended article.) I found the Web Junction article interesting and thought-provoking. The were lots of fairly doable ideas here that could be applied to marketing a number of library events.

I spent a little time looking at What's on My Bookshelf and goodreads. What's on My Bookshelf appears to be a book trading site rather than a place to share recommendations. Goodreads looks like it could be an interesting place to spend a little time--it includes author contributions as well as member ratings. I see Susan Wittig Albert has a page, and I just picked up her newest, Nightshade, at the public library yesterday. I plan to come back here and read her comments and see if any other of my favorite authors have pages. I also use the BooksIread application on Facebook to keep track of titles I'd like to read and to see what my friends are reading.

I looked at 43 Things, too, because I need all the help I can get in getting things done! I think this would be fun, but the time I'd spend here is time I would NOT be getting things done!

Of all the Things, this is probably one of them where I've encountered the most unknown territory. Although I am embarrassed to admit it, I really did not know all of these social networks existed. I can only imagine how many new ones are being created all the time. There seems to be an online community to meet every interest a person might have.

No comments: