Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 18: YouTube and other Online Video Sites

I love YouTube! And I can wile away a great many minutes just searching for interesting videos--on any number of topics. Lately I've been missing having pets around, so I looked at some kittens. They are sooo cute! I could just take this one home with me!



Erika choose a YouTube video to use with our First Year Students last year. Most of them knew YouTube and were comfortable with it, so it was a great way to introduce some of the concepts of Web 2.0 and information literacy. It would be fun to produce a video of our own to focus on things in our library, but it would take a lot of time and require acquiring some skills I do NOT now possess! It might be kind of fun to sponsor a "promote the library with video" contest just to see what our users would come up with.

As for exploring other sites, that is a new Thing. I tried a search for "library" in YouTube, Google video, and Yahoo Video. I got about the same thing in YouTube and Google, but I was really disappointed in what floated to the top in Yahoo. Yuck! I'm always amazed, when I find articles like the Top Ten Sites for [whatever], how many sites there are already devoted to things other than the big ones everybody knows about.

No comments: