Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

First of all, the legislature and all the entities involved in bring ELM to the people of Minnesota deserve a round of applause. This is a great use of tax dollars and exempliflies Minnesota's commitment to education and access to information for all it's citizens.

I probably use the ELM databases almost every day, even though I don't work at the Reference Desk very often. Even so, I wasn't familiar at all with the audio files the Student Edition contains. I've also set up search alerts in ASP, and I often email articles to myself and to students with whom I work.

I'm not sure why I would use the page creator. I already use Front Page to create web pages for the classes I work with. It is good to have the option available, but I don't see it as a viable tool for me personally. I also wonder how much work would be lost if these suite of databases were not chosen next time their is an RFP for ELM.

A word about netLibrary. I got an MP3 player not long ago, and I'm enjoying listening to the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency mysteries that I download from netLibrary. What a great service!

No comments: