Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thing 13: Ooops--I skipped one!

I've spent several days experimenting with online productivity tools. I tried a MyYahoo start page several years ago, but I never really stayed with it. I revisited that page, and it's a lot more user friendly now. I added lots of things I'm interested in--news, weather, mail, a calendar, and a to-do list. It still needs some work--I'm not entirely comfortable with it.

Then I tried iGoogle, adding the same kinds of applications. I routinely use the Outlook calendar, and I take a paper planner when I'm away from my computer. Right now I don't see myself switching to one of these operations, but if I did, it would probably be the Google application. I've never gotten used to using online to do lists--just the kind I scribble on old catalog cards! Using an online list would probably make me more efficient, and I intend to convert this summer when things move at a slightly less chaotic pace in our library. I will also try to get used to a different start page--although right now I don't really see any advantage for what I do.

I've been using CutePDF for years now. It's a wonderful tool, and I've shown it to many people over the years. I was interested in the PDFconverter tool. It's nice to have something that goes the other way. It reminds me to be vigilant, though, knowing that PDFs can also be edited if they are converted, then turned back into PDFs. We tried it on several files, and it works great.

Zamzar also is intriguing, although I haven't tried it. There are always those frustrating moments when, for reasons unknown to me, a file refuses to open.

No comments: