Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Thing 14: Library Thing

Library Thing seems to be easy to use--really intuitive. I can imagine several uses in the library, but I just can't see using this tool for my personal books. A colleague and I were considering the possibility of using Library Thing as a way to let somebody else know what titles we might have for sale. We haven't really explored the implications of that yet.

Even though I'm a cataloger at work, I don't have much interest in cataloging my home library. For one thing, I don't own that many books--I check many of them out from libraries. I also buy quite a few used books and resell them or donate them. I know I'd never keep up with the turnover on Library Thing.

A major disappointment was not being able to add DVDs and sound recordings to my library. If the tool does accomodate formats other than books, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Here's the link to my library on Library Thing--by no means a complete list!

While I don't see myself using Library Thing for personal use, I do use Books iRead, a Facebook application. I like its "Want to Read" feature. Whenever I run across a title I'd like to read someday--usually when I'm reading reviews--I can quickly add it to my list. It's also easy to change its status after I've read it.

No comments: