Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing 12: Social Media News Sites

I've loved online news sites for a long time. I get most of my news--local, state, national and international--online. I have RSS feeds set up for some of these. I also share stories I think others might find relevant.

I don't, however, have much interest in sharing my opinions/reactions/insights into news stories with the world in general. I'm also satisfied with the news sources I use on a daily basis. Sometimes there are sites devoted to a special issue, such as politics, that collect stories from a variety of sources and make them available to others. One that I'm using now is realclearpolitics.com. It's one place I can see up-to-date polling data from a variety of organizations collected in one spot.

I think I might use some of these sites if I were at a public desk and had to be "up" on what was happening almost before it happened. But in my current situation, I think I'd spend even more time I didn't have on news if I tried to become familiar with all of these sites. Some of them didn't even seem very inviting. If I had to choose one, I guess it would have to be Newsvine--but I just don't see it happening.

This is really the first "thing" that doesn't have much appeal for me, either personally or professionally. IBut I know they exist now!

No comments: