Monday, February 25, 2008

Thing 9: Collaboration

I'm beginning with Zoho. The idea sounds good--I'm just not sure how easy many people are going to find it to get used to new tools. I like the idea of being able to collaborate online without the constraints of personal software. I'm just not sure how it will work. I'vde tried to import a word document and a spreadsheet, and neither worked (that I could see). I created a document and tried to insert a picture, but that didn't work either (that I could see). Like any software, I don't expect to be a competent user after just a few minutes, but right now I don't see any reason to pursue this.

I do think these tools might work well for people who don't have personal computers. Do libraries teach these tools to users? I'm going to watch for classes in my town.

I did try to create a small test spreadsheet. I thought I could post a link to it in my blog, but instead I inserted the worksheet itselft--not even the printable, formatted view. I'm sure there must be a way to do it, but it wasn't readily apparent to me. It's becoming obvious to me that I need to know more about html to deal with all these images in my blog. Maybe I need to know more about html in general. I know the ILS forms require a greater knowledge than I have.

1 comment:

Soma On A Stick said...

I know what you mean about needing to get up to snuff on your html. I'm minimally ok at manipulating what is already there, but I wouldn't even know where to begin for creating my own program.

I did, however, figure out how to link the Zoho documents and how to embed the html into your blog, so if you'd like some help figuring that out, let me know. You know where to find me.